A youth venting fury at a hospital in Hadapsar for his father’s death thrashed the doctors and staff where the patient was recuperating after surgery. He and his friends not only assaulted the doctor but also ransacked the hospital.
Hadapsar police arrested Nilesh Suresh Shelke, Babu Appa Sodanwar, Satish Sakharam Ambekar, Dilip Sakharam Ambekar, all residents of Daund taluka in Pune district on the complaint of Dr Sachin Abane, director Abane Accident Hospital where the incident allegedly took place.
Police said Nilesh’s father Suresh Shelke (43) was admitted to Abane Accident Hospital for treatment on April 9. He was operated upon on April 10. On Monday evening, he went to the hospital bathroom to pass urine. He appears to have lost consciousness and collapsed inside the bathroom. By the time he was brought out after the door of the bathroom was broken open, he had died, police investigating the incident said.
- Mumbai: Scooter hits pothole, woman in ICU with head injury
- This Mumbaikar’s story of helping an accident victim when no one else did is a must read
- In a first, retired employee donates organs to railway hospital
- Man ‘attacks, wife, daughter, in-laws with sharp weapon, stabs self’
- Maharashtra Gov, Centre to give Rs 10 lakh to family of techie killed in 2014 riots
- Student killed, his friend injured in hit-and-run in Mohali
Doctors claim that the operation on Shelke was successful and there was no negligence on their part. They suspect Shelke may have suffered a heart attack or a shock.
Shelke’s son and his friends accused the hospital staff and doctors of negligence. They manhandled the doctors and the hospital staff, damaged the furniture and broke the glass in the OPD and intensive care unit of the hospital, police said.
Senior police inspector Rajendra Mohite and his team visited the hospital to take stock. Police booked the suspects under IPC and sections of the Maharashtra Medicare Service Persons and Medicare Service Institutions (Prevention of Violence and Damage of Property) Act, 2010.