CHIEF MINISTER Devendra Fadnavis is positive about the first flight taking off from the proposed Navi Mumbai international airport in December 2019, but said that for Pune, the wait may be a little longer.
After the preliminary survey was conducted in the last two weeks at Purandar, when The Indian Express sought his views on when the project will take off, he responded by saying that it “will be too early to comment” on Pune’s first flight as the survey was underway.
The project has been pending for a decade now. The chief minister had earlier announced that the first flight from the proposed Navi Mumbai international airport will take off in December 2019 although the land acquisition issues are being sorted out. For Pune, the CM, who had tweeted about the surveys on August 23, steered clear of giving any deadline. With the Maharashtra Airport Development Company (MADC) being the implementing agency for the proposed airport in Pune of which he is the chairman, he said that for Pune “it is too early to comment on when the first flight as has been announced in case of Navi Mumbai.”
Meanwhile, MADC deputy vice chairman Vishwas Patil said the area seems conducive after the two surveys and so after the AAI’s approval, the MADC will appoint an agency and carry out the ground level obstacle survey.
“The survey is expected to cost Rs 50-60 lakh and it will be done over a month as information regarding the feasibility of the airport will be assessed. This is the third step after the preliminary feasibility study,” he said.
Watch what else is making news
He added that the airport should be mostly done in private partnership as it is done in Nagpur and other airports and the decision should be taken after the land is finalised. “It should be at par with the international standards as it is in Mumbai and Bangalore,” said Patil.
Patil said after the ground level obstacle survey, they would have to take AAI’s opinion before the site is finalised.