The Pune Police Crime Branch has arrested a man who allegedly cheated many people to the tune of lakhs of rupees by posting fake advertisements about selling properties on websites.
The police have identified the suspect as Suraj Rakesh Choube alias Swaroop Sharma alias Raj Shukla. He was wanted in cases registered with the Vimantal police station and Lashkar police station in Pune, and Nalasopara police station in Mumbai.
He was booked in these cases under sections 420, 467, 468, 470, 471, 43 of the Indian Penal Code.
- Rupay debit card fraud: Mastermind of gang that cheated foreign nationals arrested, says Police
- Maharashtra FDA registers case against ayurvedic firm over ‘tall’ claims
- DS Kulkarni’s son has a week to surrender: SC rejects plea for anticipatory bail extension
- Mumbai: 41-year-old man duped of over Rs 12 lakh by fake dating website
- Engineer held for cheating: 43-year-old also duped retired IPS officer in UP
- Pune: Man held for ‘defrauding 60 over cheap tour packages’
The police said he and his accomplices had posted advertisements of property dealing in the name of Allmax Reality Acres Private Limited and Wellington Homezone India Private Limited Company on websites like “Common Floor” and “Magicbricks”.
He allegedly attracted customers who wanted to buy apartments. After the customers contacted him, Suraj took them to some apartments.
He then prepared documents and took booking amounts from the customers. But later, he did not complete the deal and fled with the booking amount.
Suraj allegedly cheated a person of Rs 1.39 lakh. This person lodged a complaint with the Vimantal police station on March 20,2015.
Acting on a tip-off, a team of Economic Offences Wing of Pune Police’s Crime Branch led by Inspector Vasant Kunvar laid a trap and nabbed Suraj in Karad, Satara district on Wednesday.
An investigation was on to know how many people he has cheated so far.
The police are also finding the details of his accomplices.