After the Union government made an allocation of Rs 126.58 crore for Pune Metro rail in its 2015-16 budget, the BJP-led state government has proposed Rs 174.99 crore for the project that has been delayed due to lack of consensus on where the stretches should be elevated or underground.
Pointing towards NCP leader Ajit Pawar and Pune Guardian Minister Girish Bapat, Finance Minister Sudhir Mungantiwar, while tabling the budget in the assembly on Wednesday, declared that the state government had made budgetary provision for Pune Metro. The BJP-led government had been facing criticism for “discriminating with Pune” by pushing Nagpur Metro. Mungantiwar also said the government had made a provision of Rs 197 crore for Nagpur Metro. Welcoming the budgetary provision, BJP MLA Vijay Kale said, “It showed the government’s intention to push the Metro project, which is badly needed in a city like Pune where the traffic situation is going from bad to worse.”
- CM Fadnavis approves infra projects worth Rs 1,812-crore for Nagpur, Rs 2,595-crore for Pune
- Blow to Pune Metro, as state sets aside only Rs 130 crore for project
- Metro rail, big infrastructure projects: Debt mounting, state looks at off-budget borrowings for funding key projects
- Maharashtra budget 2017 Highlights: Big focus on agriculture, Jalyukt Shivar Scheme gets boost of Rs 1,200 cr
- Pune Metro rail project sidelined yet again in Maharashtra Budget
- Panel report on Pune Metro to be submitted to CM tomorrow
Recently, Chief Minister Devendra Fadanavis had chaired a meeting to resolve the issues related to Pune Metro. The state government has asked Bapat to discuss the issue with all stakeholders while declaring that work on the Swargate-Nigdi route would be started ahead of the other routes.
The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) had submitted the detailed proposal for Pune Metro in 2009, estimating the project cost to be Rs 7,984 crore, which was revised last year to Rs 10,183 crore. Now, the DMRC has estimated the project cost to be Rs 10,869 crore. The cost is for the two routes from Swargate to Pimpri-Chinchwad and from Vanaz to Ramwadi.