Although she was disqualified in April and her corporatorship cancelled soon after,a board showing directions to corporator Seema Phuges residence in Bhosari still stands rooted to the ground.
The board was put up by Pimpri-Chinchwad Municipal Corporation in March 2012. Incidentally,the ward,she represented until April,voted on Sunday to elect a new corporator.
Phuges is not an isolated case in PCMC. There are dime a dozen boards that dot the terrain of the industrial town. But what raised the hackles of civic conscious citizens and civic activists are the welcome arches,gardens,swimming pools,cultural centres and other civic properties that have been named after politicians or corporators relatives,who had barely contributed anything to the town. Some civic properties carry the name of corporators who died during their tenure or after their tenure was over. So much so,a few properties have also been named after people with criminal record. Equally perturbing is the fact that some corporators have rented out these premises and are collecting rent from them for personal use.
*In Pradhikaran,a shopping complex has been named after a late former corporator who had criminal past.
* In Kalbhornagar,a garden has been named after a resident who was in police records.
* In Gurav Pimpale,a school has been named after the grandmother of a top Pimpri-Chinchwad politician.
* In Kasarwadi,a welcome arch has been named after the mother of a former corporator.
* A top NCP politician got an entertainment centre named after his late father in Sant Tukaram
* A top BJP politician,who was murdered,has an auditorium named after him in Bhosari.
* A former mayor,who is also the sitting NCP corporator,has a garden named after her mother-in-law and has a cultural centre named after her father in Chinchwad. And she collects rent from the cultural centre, a civic official told The Indian Express.
* A top Congress politician,who is also a three-time sitting corporator,had a flyover named after his late father in Dalvinagar.
* In Bhosari,a sitting NCP corporator runs a sports foundation and takes care of a PCMC gym,running it as if it his property,say civic officials. Iklas Sayyed,a civic activist,said,A sitting corporator from Mohannagar has recently got a garden named after his relative.
* In Nigdi,several properties have been named after a top NCP leader who died while serving as mayor. A flyover,a school,a gym,a sports ground and chowks have been named after him.
* Incidentally,Rajendra Bhosale,the first resident of Pimpri-Chinchwad to become a martyr in Jammu and Kashmir,has a swimming pool premises named after him,but not the swimming pool itself.
* Since NCP and Congress have ruled PCMC,most of the properties have been named after their leaders.
* S S Ghare,the first president of Pimpri-Chinchwad municipal council,has nothing named after him. We had demanded the Chinchwad flyover be named after him,but the suggestion was shot down. While civic properties have been named after people who had a dubious past,it is shocking that its first municipal president has not been honoured by PCMC, said Manav Kamble of the Nagari Hakka Surkasha Samiti. We request the Municipal Commissioner Shrikar Pardeshi to take corrective action in the matter, he added.
When contacted,the PCMC chief said they will have to frame new rules to allow for only deserving persons to be honoured with such boards,if at all the civic body wants to name properties after them. I also have received a few complaints…We will have to frame new rules to avoid such things, Pardeshi said.
In case of board on Phuge,he said the board remained probably because the officials were awaiting the Supreme Courts order in her case.