THE practice of saving water has been initiated in Star gym, a gymnasium in Katraj, since its opening in 2009. The gym reuses waste water from all the taps and has constructed their outlets in the garden to water the plants.The practice of using ‘no shower’ has also been prevalent in the gym along with storing excess water which might be left in a glass after drinking.
- Day after in Vasai: water in homes, supplies run dry
- Water contamination: Mayor takes stock of Mauli Jagran in Chandigarh, visits residents admitted to hospital
- A day in the life of a family in Shimla amidst the city’s crippling water crisis
- Shimla water crisis: HC says no preferential treatments to VIPs; civic body snaps illegal connections
- Why Shimla is thirsty this tourist season
- Shimla reels under acute drinking water shortage
Dr Pradeep Kendale, the owner, said, ‘’We realised in the first year of the gym itself that a lot of water was wasted and immediately thought of alternative ways to save it. The bucket is kept on the side of the cooler which is used to store the excess water remaining in the glass after one is done drinking it. The stored water is then kept for birds. By this method we save approximately 5-7 litres of water everyday.This practice is carried out all year-long. Also, we have said no to showers because when bathing from a tap, we use only the amount of water required.”
Kendale, a diet consultant, himself also practices all of these water saving methods at his house.