In a bid to ensure smooth annual palkhi procession from Dehu-Alandi to Pandharpur in the month of June, the district administration wants to ensure that there is no encroachment along this path to ensure smooth movement of the procession.
In a meeting taken under Pune District Collector Saurabh Rao on Thursday, the routes of the procession were assessed as the procession of Sant Tukaram would commence from the temple town of Dehu to the pilgrim town of Pandharpur, while for Sant Dnyaneshwar, the procession would commence from Alandi which sees hundreds of warkaris joining the procession.
- Undeterred, ‘dindis’ march on
- Bhavani Peth wears a festive look as sea of warkaris make a pit stop
- A centuries-old tradition and its deep significance for lakhs of devotees
- Pune: Amid steady drizzle and flower shower, ‘palkhis’ arrive in city
- No additional water to be released for palkhi procession: Pune Collector
- No additional water for palkhi procession; Bapat urges cleanliness, mobile connectivity
“All necessary arrangements for the warkaris will be readied ahead of the palkhi procession. Encroachments would be removed while roads will be repaired and all necessary infrastructure arrangements for the warkaris would be readied,” said District Collector Saurabh Rao.
The meeting was attended by Zilla Parishad CEO Daulat Desai, Superintendent of Police (Rural) Dr Jai Jadhav, Resident Deputy Collector Rajendra Muthe, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Special Branch Shrikant Pathak) and other district officials.
The suggestions included raising the entrance arch for the procession, removal of encroachments along the route with the help of revenue department, police and PWD was decided at the meet, besides arrangements for health care facilities.