Five persons from a family were injured in an explosion suspected to have occurred due to leakage of LPG from a domestic cylinder in a house in Dattanagar. The incident took place behind the Birla hospital in Thergaon, in the early hours of Monday.
The victims have been identified as Sanjay Kale (34), his wife Sujata (30) and children Atharva, Om and Shubham. Police said that Sanjay, a driver, sustained 50 per cent burns in the incident. He along with other injured were admitted to a hospital for treatment.
Police said the incident took place around 5 am. A fire brigade team reached the spot immediately after receiving the information. Panic followed the incident as no apparent sign indicated the cause of the explosion. The impact of the blast was so severe that along with Kale’s house, walls of two more adjacent houses were damaged. The police and firemen brought the situation under control and the victims were rushed to a hospital for treatment.
Kiran Gawde, chief of fire brigade, Pimpri-Chinchwad Municipal Corporation (PCMC) said, “We believe it was an explosion caused due to leakage of LPG from a cylinder in the house. The gas may have leaked during the night. It may have come in contact with a fire spark in the morning, due to which the gas exploded, creating a loud noise and injuring the family. There was panic and confusion among residents as the LPG cylinder in the house remained intact. But, it should be understood that LPG cylinder did not explode. Had it been a cylinder blast, the damage could have been more severe. It was the leaked gas from the cylinder that caused the explosion.”