The education department has issued a showcause notice to Fergusson College for allegedly running an unauthorised division of 120 students in FYJC science since 2007-2008 academic year.
In the notice issued to the college on June 16, deputy director of education (Pune division) Ramachandra Jadhav has said strict disciplinary action would be taken against the college unless it explains its position.
He has also cautioned students again relying on the intake capacity mentioned in the admission booklet issued to them as it was erroneous in this case.
According to the information booklet, Fergusson College has six aided divisions of FYJC science with a total intake capacity of 720 students and two unaided divisions with a total of 240 seats.
Jadhav, however, said it had recently came to their notice that one of the unaided divisions was not authorised and hence this year, the total intake capacity has been reduced for the college by of 120 seats (one division).
Authorities at Maharashtra Knowledge Corporation Limited, which are managing the server for online admission process, have been asked to notify students of the change through the web-based admission process.
Speaking on the issue, Jadhav said, “In the academic year 2007-2008, the college was asked by the admission committee to introduce one more division in view of the the additional number of students who needed admissions. But the college was expected to submit a proposal within a time limit and get the entire process regularised and approved, which it failed to do. Since then, the college has been running the eighth division of 120 students in FYJC science. We have stopped it this year, besides issuing them a showcause notice.”
The notice also says that besides an extra division in FYJC science, the same number of unauthorised seats (120) have been added in Std XII as part of natural increase in number of seats from lower to higher classes. “We have also asked them to submit details of fees collected from these students since 2007-2008. Besides that, we will be issuing a showcase notice to the education officers who were supposed to verify the intake capacity of the college since this is a case of negligence,” Jadhav said.
Meanwhile, Dr R G Pardeshi, principal of Fergusson College, said the issue came to light only a few weeks ago.
“In 2007, the deputy director of education office had asked us to apply for an extra division. Accordingly, we submitted a proposal which was signed by deputy director and forwarded to Zilla Parishad office. All necessary papers were submitted. Also, every year, it is the deputy director of education’s office which conducts admissions and issues lists after verifying the intake capacity. I do not know why this year, the number of seats have been reduced by 120 and the division termed unauthorised because as per my information, all papers were submitted each year. However, having said that, I think some minor procedure may have been overlooked. Recently, we got some papers from deputy director’s office which we signed and submitted,” Pardeshi said.