A first-year engineering student of computer science at the D Y Patil College in Charholi is suspected to have committed suicide on Tuesday morning. Police have identified the deceased boy Pratik Ashok Patil. An accidental death case has been registered at the Dighi police station.
This is the second case of an engineering student committing suicide in as many days.
Police said Patil was found hanging in the bathroom in college hostel room on Tuesday morning. No suicide note found at the spot. Police are probing why he took the drastic step.
- Vadodara: Engineering student found hanging in hostel room
- Class IX student found dead with 22 stab wounds in Vadodara school
- Chandigarh: Court orders re-inquiry into teen death, police stick to their theory of suicide
- Unsolved Crimes: 11 years on, Kalyan Crime Branch yet to find murder accused
- In shadow of Kathua rape-murder, a killing threatens a village’s peace
- Hours after watching 3 idiots,student commits suicide in school bathroom
Police inspector Shivaji Shinde of Dighi police station said, “Primary investigation revealed that Pratik was disturbed because he failed in five subjects in the first term. His father had come to meet him on Tuesday morning at the college. His father called him repeatedly on phone, but his calls went unanswered. So the father made inquiry at the college entrance and amongst his friends there. Pratik’s friend then started searching for him. The police team deployed at the college in the view of Aditya Thackeray’s visit today also joined the search. Meanwhile, a conservancy staff member found Rohit hanging in the bathroom of the college hostel.”
On receiving the information, a Dighi police team reached the spot and took the body for autopsy, which confirmed that he died of hanging.
Patil is a native of Bhisaval in Jalgaon district. After the autopsy, his body was handed over to his father.
This is the second case of a student committing suicide in as many days. Rohit Jadhav, a second-year student of engineering at the Sinhagad Institute of Technology in Lonavala was found hanged in his hostel room on Sunday night, the Valentine’s Day. No suicide note was found. The Lonavala rural police are probing the case.