Abhimanyu Puranik made the city proud after having won the bronze medal at the recently concluded World Youth festival that was held from October 19-30 in Greece. The World Youth Festival saw students in the Under-8,10,12,14 categories participate in the tournament. A total of eight students won medals at the tourney. While Abhimanyu won the bronze medal,Shiven Khosala won the Silver Medal in the Under-14 category.
Abhimanyu who is a student of Symbiosis School is a class five student and was seeded 30 th at the start of the tournament. He played an aggressive game winning seven games drawing three and losing one in the 11 games. Post the tournament he has gained 31 rating points and has on the overall gained 135 rating points in the last three months,said a press release.
In the Under-16 and the Under-18 tournaments the Indian contingent couldn’t win any medals but Bhakti Kulkarni of Goa was third seeded in Under-18girls but finished fifth while IM SP Sethuraman was top seeded in the Under-18 boys category but couldn’t finish in top 10
Indians won the medals and the details are as :
1. Rudraksha Parida – Silver Medal in Under 8 – boys
2. Salonika Saina – Silver Medal in Under 8 – girls
3. M. Tejasvi – Bronze Medal in Under 8 – girls
4. Abhimanyu Puranik – Bronze Medal in Under 10 – boys
5. Ivana Furtado – Silver Medal in Under 12 – girls
6. M.Mahalakshmi – Bronze Medal in Under 12 – girls
7. Shiven Khosla – Silver Medal in Under 14 – boys
8. Nandhidhaa PV – Bronze Medal in Under 14 – girls.