Leakage of chlorine gas was reported at the Warje water purification plant of Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) in the early hours of Thursday.
A fire brigade team reached the spot on receiving the information around 2.15 am and brought the situation under control within two hours. However, two employees at the water purification plant were hospitalised.
Fire officer Gajanan Pathrudkar said, “We reached the spot immediately after getting the call about a gas leakage. Using our equipment, we managed to stop the gas leakage in two hours.”
PMC Superintendent Engineer V G Kulkarni said the chlorine gas leakage at Warje Water Works on Wednesday midnight was brought under control within hours.
“The civic-owned Warje Water Works is run by a contractor for the PMC. Two staff members of the private company were hospitalised after they complained of uneasiness. However, they have recovered now and would soon be discharged from the hospital,” he said.