scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Pune: CBSE, ICSE schools set to begin academic year for Class XI, provisional admissions on

State board schools yet to make decision; lack of clarity over FYJC admission

Written by Alifiya Khan | Pune |
Updated: June 4, 2021 11:02:02 am
Educationists feel it is imperative to start classes for Class 11 not just for academics but to ensure the mental wellbeing of students. (File)

Even as there is uncertainty over the schedule for the declaration of results for Class X students of the Maharashtra board and subsequent admissions to junior colleges, several CBSE and ICSE schools in Pune city are set to begin classes for Class XI in the next couple of weeks.

Earlier, CBSE and ICSE announced the cancellation of Class X board examination and instructed schools to tabulate results based on internal assessment, following which most schools finished the process. Even as Class X results as yet to be shared with students, CBSE and ICSE schools have started the Class XI admission process.

Many CBSE and ICSE schools have invited online applications from students wishing to enroll in Class XI and some have already conducted aptitude tests and personal interviews, while others are in the process of doing so. Schools that have finished the process are now set to start lectures.

– Stay updated with the latest Pune news. Follow Express Pune on Twitter here and on Facebook here. You can also join our Express Pune Telegram channel here.

“We have limited seats in science stream, only one section of 35 students. Usually, 90 per cent students are in-house students, remaining 10 per cent are enrolled from other schools. We conduct an aptitude test to select students and in-house counsellor speaks to them,” said Damini Joshi, principal, Sanskriti School, where classes will begin this week.

An online admission notice on the website of The Bishop’s School shows that admission forms for Class XI were available till May 21. Interactive sessions with candidates are now scheduled between June 7 and 11, after which a merit list will be declared on June 14 and classes are set to begin from June 21. Online admission forms for Class XI at St Mary’s School, Camp, are now closed while forms at Hutchings School, too, were available until May 21.

Educationists said it was imperative to begin classes, not just for academics but to ensure the mental well-being of students.

“We had an entrance test for Class XI admissions and our academic year begins today (Thursday, June 3). As a teacher and educationist, I am worried about the mental health of our students. The last exam they appeared was Class X prelims, maybe in February and, since then, they are waiting. First, they thought board exams will happen, then there was so much uncertainty until the cancellation was announced. These children need to be engaged constructively, so we have decided to begin their Class XI lectures based on provisional admissions,” said Jayshree Venkatraman, principal, SNBP School.

The state education department recently announced the cancellation of SSC examination, but state board schools said specific instructions on how to tabulate results were awaited. Not only is there a lack of clarity over junior college admissions for state board students, but the education department has also warned junior colleges against putting out admission notices. The department has asked them to wait until a go-ahead.

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest Pune News, download Indian Express App.

  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement