Early on Wednesday morning, a Bible and a book of hymns and prayers were found burnt in front of the statue of Mother Mary at St. Sebastian Nagar in Daund. Father Malcolm Sequeira, Vicar General, Poona Diocese, alleged that a bindi (tikka) packet was put before the statue of Mother Mary and a tulsi plant placed in front of it.
Also, an earthenware pot, which is normally carried during Hindu funeral rites, was left in front of the statue.
- Thirty-six Bangladeshi nationals with ‘suspicious documents’ held from Buddhavihars in Pune district
- Bhima Koregaon shadow over death of Dalit witness
- Uttar Pradesh: Two more statues of Ambedkar vandalised
- Kurla village tense after Mother Mary statues damaged
- Koreans spreading Christianity being sent home today
- H1N1 effect: No processions at Velankanni feast this year
“This is desecration and an attack on the faith and religious sentiments of the Christian community. We have lodged a police complaint,” Father Malcolm said, demanding immediate inquiry and effective action in the incident. When contacted, officials from Daund police station said that an offence has been registered under section 295 (injuring or defiling place of worship with intent to insult the religion) of IPC in this regard.