This is an archive article published on November 1, 2024
Autorickshaw prepaid booth at Pune railway station may face closure due to election code of conduct
The pre-paid booth was inaugurated as part of a collaborative effort by the Railways, RTO, Traffic Police, Pune Municipal Corporation, and autorickshaw unions on a 100-day agreement to curb overcharging by other autorickshaw drivers.
The autorickshaw prepaid booth on the premises of Pune railway station, launched in July and now due for renewal, may face closure due to the election code of conduct prevailing in Maharashtra.
The booth was inaugurated as part of a collaborative effort by the Railways, RTO, Traffic Police, Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC), and autorickshaw unions on a 100-day agreement to curb overcharging by outside autorickshaw drivers.
Passengers fear that if the RTO or Traffic Police does not extend the agreement, their situation will be back to square one.
After being closed for nearly four years, the booth was reopened to help prevent passengers from being overcharged.
Booth operators have appealed to the authorities to extend the agreement. During the 100-day period, the booth handled approximately 13,867 trips, generating Rs 22.37 lakh in fares and benefiting 1,226 registered autorickshaw drivers.
Keshav Kshirsagar, president of the Baghtoy Rickshaw Union, said that the union has been independently managing the booth without police assistance. The police aid was assured to maintain law and order and ensure passenger safety. “Despite the initial assurance, the situation has remained the same even after a hundred days,” he said.
Kshirsagar alleged that the administration’s lack of seriousness has resulted in passengers frequently facing issues with autorickshaw drivers over exorbitant fare. “If our request to extend the booth’s operation is not accepted, we may have to shut it down within a couple of days,” he added.
Story continues below this ad
A week ago, Amol Zende, Deputy Commissioner of Police, Traffic Pune, said that he would review the situation and possibly extend the timeline, but no action has been taken so far.
Kshirsagar noted that October 22 was the last date for the extension, and it has now been 10 days since the traffic authority assured a decision would be made.
Shubham Tigga is a Correspondent at The Indian Express, presently based in Pune, where he covers the intersections of infrastructure, labor, and the modern economy. His reporting focuses on civil aviation, urban mobility, the gig economy, and workers' unions, providing critical insights into how transit and commercial sectors impact the daily lives of citizens.
Expertise & Background
Before moving to Pune, he reported extensively from his home state of Chhattisgarh, where he focused on Indigenous (Adivasi) issues, environmental justice, and grassroots struggles in mainland India. This experience gives him a unique lens through which he analyzes the impact of large-scale infrastructure projects on local communities.
Academic Foundation
He is an alumnus of the prestigious Asian College of Journalism (ACJ), where he honed his skills in investigative reporting and ethical journalism. His academic training, combined with his field experience in Central India, allows him to navigate complex socio-economic landscapes with nuance and accuracy.
You can reach out to him on LinkedIn ... Read More