Pune: 30 scrap shops, warehouses gutted in major firehttps://indianexpress.com/article/cities/pune/30-scrap-shops-warehouses-gutted-in-major-fire/

Pune: 30 scrap shops, warehouses gutted in major fire

More than 70 tankers had brought in water till 9 pm for extinguishing the fire.

Major fire errupted at a group of godowns in Kudalwadi on Tuesday evening. The operation to control fire went on till night. Photo By Rajesh Steohen
Major fire errupted at a group of godowns in Kudalwadi on Tuesday evening. The operation to control fire went on till night. Photo By Rajesh Steohen

A massive fire erupted at Kudalwadi in Pimpri Chinchwad Municipal Corporation (PCMC) limits on Tuesday afternoon, in which as many as 30 scrap shops and small tin sheds serving as warehouses were completely gutted. Till late on Tuesday, fire brigade teams from PCMC were still trying to control the blaze completely that spread over an area of an acre.

As per information given by the PCMC fire brigade, no casualties were reported as shop owners and workers left the premises immediately after the fire started at around 1 am. Though the primary cause of fire could not be ascertained, fire brigade officials said that an accidental fire on scrap material or a short circuit could be some of the possibilities.

[related-post]

Basavraj Teli, deputy commissioner of police (Zone III), said, “Till around 9 pm, as many as 30 shops, most of which had scrap stored in them, were completely gutted. But the operation was still on. It is only after the fire is completely brought under control that we would be able confirm the extent of losses.”

Fire brigade officials said that the fire could only be doused by midnight. More than 12 fire tenders and tankers from the PCMC fire brigade were pressed into action along with fire tenders from several private industries. More than 70 tankers had brought in water till 9 pm for extinguishing the fire. Fire brigade officials said that the scrap material consisted mostly of waste paper and cloth, while some warehouses even had some cotton stores which led the fire to spread fast. Some shops which had plywood had also caught fire.

Power failure was reported in the surrounding areas due to the fire. Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Company officials said that 200 metres of high tension cable was melted due to the fire leading to the power cut. Six transformers became non functional. Repair work would be taken up after the fire is brought under control, officials said.