The petitioner — who has opposed the razing of the Hancock Bridge on account of the rising casualties among people crossing the railway tracks in the absence of the bridge on Wednesday — told the Bombay High Court that the railways should not be permitted to demolish the Carnac Bridge across the tracks south of Masjid Bunder.
Referring to information sought and received under the Right to Information Act, the petitioner’s lawyer said they had been told that the Central Railway did not have inspection report that declared both these bridges unsafe. The structural audit record may be available with Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation, the petitioner was told. The Carnac Bridge was built in 1866-67.
“Light vehicles are still plying on the Carnac bridge, it should not be demolished. The railways has no basis for demolishing it,” said the petitioner’s lawyer.
The HC has been hearing a PIL filed by a city resident highlighting the rise in instances of deaths of pedestrians and rail passengers forced to walk across the railway tracks at Sandhurst Road in the absence of an alternate bridge.
During the last hearing, the High Court had asked the BMC and the railways to write to the Army seeking their expertise in constructing a temporary bridge at the now-demolished Hancock Bridge site.
The court was informed that the agencies were still awaiting a reply from the Army and has granted them two weeks to file a reply listing out the solution to constructing the temporary bridge.