Vinod Asrani, one of the main ‘conspirators’ in the murder of journalist J Dey, passed away early on Friday morning after succumbing to problems related to his liver, the police said. According to the police, Asrani alias Vinod Chemburkar, who was allegedly a cricket bookie and a close aide of gangster Chhota Rajan, reportedly played a crucial role in the murder of Dey as he helped the shooters identify Dey and his vehicle.
- Journalist J Dey murder case: A timeline of events
- J Dey murder case: Court judgment likely today
- J Dey Murder Case : Court charges 10 accused, including fellow journalist
- J Dey murder accused to undergo liver operation,bail extended
- Target will meet man in white BMW,Rajan told Deys killers
- Chhota Rajan ensured Dey shooter,Asrani never met
Sunil Deshmukh, Assistant Commissioner of Police (Detection), said Asrani had been out on bail for over a year on health grounds. “Asrani had filed applications in court saying that he needed a liver transplant and his bail kept getting extended on this ground. Two months ago, Asrani was granted permission to travel to London for a surgery, but didn’t get treated then,” Deshmukh said.
The police said Asrani applied for another permission to go abroad and get treated. “Today (Friday), was the final hearing of his permission application to travel to Singapore for treatment, but he expired in the morning,” a police officer said.