AN undertrial allegedly attacked a fellow inmate with a blade inside the Arthur Road jail premises Thursday morning.
Police said inmate Gopal Shetty was being taken for a routine OPD check-up around 11.30 am when he was attacked outside barrack number 7.
According to investigators, attacker Salim Faizal Khan used a blade and left gashes on Shetty’s left forehead and his right elbow. Khan was booked by the NM Joshi police for grievously injuring Shetty.
- Fake encounter: CBI threatened me to give false statement against Gujarat cop, Prajapati’s former jail inmate tells court
- Hours before Tihar violence, officials checked up on prisoners in Jail No. 8
- Broken doors, sirens in clashes between undertrials at Tihar
- Maharashtra Prison dept asks all jail officers to carry firearms during jail opening time
- Ludhiana: Five men assault undertrial inside jail, post it on Facebook
- Escape from Pune’s Sassoon hospital: Over the years, many cases of inmates fleeing from custody
Shetty too had hit back and the two were separated by jail authorities. “There was some dispute between Shetty and Khan. Both were injured and taken to JJ hospital for treatment. No one is grievously injured, investigations are still under way,” said Ashok Dudhe, Mumbai Police spokesperson.
Shetty (35) is lodged in jail after being arrested by the crime branch for allegedly being a part of a crime syndicate. Khan was arrested by the Nirmal Nagar police in a case of attempt to murder.“We are making inquiries as to how Khan got access to a blade,” said Praveen Padwal, Deputy Commissioner of Police, Zone III.
Thursday’s incident comes nearly a fortnight after a brawl broke out between five undertrials at the jail resulting in all of them being hospitalised.