scorecardresearch
Sunday, Jan 29, 2023
Advertisement

Two workers die after inhaling toxic gases while cleaning borewell

The borewell with a 2.5-foot diameter was nearly 40-foot deep.

Two workers hired to clean a borewell in a South Mumbai locality died after inhaling toxic gases. The borewell with a 2.5-foot diameter was nearly 40-foot deep.

According to police, Vasant Jawle (45) and Balu (40) had been contracted to clean the borewell in Fanaswadi on Sunday morning.

“The labourers and contractor opened the lid of the well and waited for more than an hour before entering to clean the muck inside,” said an officer of the LT Marg police station.

[related-post]

Subscriber Only Stories
At the end of the Bharat Jodo Yatra
Why BharOS has Indian developers excited and sceptical: ‘More choice is g...
UPSC Essentials | Weekly news express with MCQs: Republic Day, India-Egyp...
As India prepares for centralised power market shift, EU moves a differen...

The police said the contractor, who was helping from outside, informed the fire brigade when he did not get a response from the workers after a few minutes.

“We received a call at 12.17 pm and rushed an engine there. The operation was concluded in an hour after the men were carried out of the borewell,” said a fire brigade official.

Fire brigade officials blew away poisonous fumes with an exhaust blower before rescuing the men.

The official said first aid was administered to the two labourers before they were rushed to Nair Hospital in Mumbai Central. They were pronounced dead upon arrival there.

Advertisement

“Prima facie, it appears that the men died after inhaling toxic gases inside the borewell,” said a police officer.

First published on: 07-03-2016 at 02:31 IST
Next Story

2013 Muzaffarnagar riots: Failure of intelligence, top officials led to riots in Muzaffarnagar, says probe panel

Latest Comment
Post Comment
Read Comments
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
close