Follow Us:
Friday, July 20, 2018

Two more die of H1N1 in Mumbai, toll reaches 29

The cases of H1N1 are getting steadily diagnosed with 184 cases and seven deaths recorded by the BMC in July alone.

| Mumbai | Published: August 6, 2015 1:41:39 am

Two more persons have died due to H1N1 infection in the first week of August, taking the death toll to 29, data from the civic health department indicated Wednesday.

The latest victims are a 42-year-old woman from Jogeshwari (west) and a 2-year-old boy from Fanaswadi.

The Jogeshwari resident was first admitted at Millat hospital after she developed fever and chills. On July 31, she was transferred to Holy Spirit Hospital in Andheri (east), for ventilator support. According to the civic officials, she did not suffer from any other illnesses and possibly was put on treatment at a later stage. The doctors started Oseltamivir, also known as Tami Flu, treatment for H1N1 on July 31 after she was transferred to Holy Spirit Hospital. On Tuesday, however, she succumbed to multi-organ failure along with acute respiratory-distress syndrome.

The second victim, a 2-year-old child, passed away on August 2, a day after admission at the tertiary-care section of the Nair hospital. He was transferred from Conwest and Manjula Jain Hospital on August 1 after his throat swab tested positive for H1N1 disease. He was put on treatment the same day, however, doctors treating him said that he also suffered from congenital heart disease and Kleinfelter syndrome.

Kleinfelter syndrome is a disorder with two or more X chromosomes in the body, with symptoms such as weak muscles. The disorder is untreatable. The child died to multiple illnesses at Nair Hospital including bronchopneumonia with septic shock.

The cases of H1N1 are getting steadily diagnosed with 184 cases and seven deaths recorded by the BMC in July alone.

Since January this year, the city has witnessed 2,085 cases with 54 reported in the first five days of August.

Meanwhile, another victim succumbed to dengue in the city on Wednesday. Surat MLA, Raja Patel, who was transferred to Mahim-based Hinduja Hospital

Monday after his condition worsened and platelet count had dropped drastically, succumbed to dengue with multi-organ dysfunction Wednesday.

The city recorded 57 cases of dengue in July.

For all the latest Mumbai News, download Indian Express App