State to order CID probe into irregularities

The state government on Monday yielded to demands from the Members of Legislative Council (MLCs) and agreed to order a CID probe into alleged corruption in garbage-lifting contracts awarded by the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC).

Written by Express News Service | Published: July 17, 2012 4:28:36 am

The state government on Monday yielded to demands from the Members of Legislative Council (MLCs) and agreed to order a CID probe into alleged corruption in garbage-lifting contracts awarded by the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC).

The MLCs,seeking a CID probe into the alleged corruption in the solid waste management department of the BMC,said despite the contracts of contractors responsible for lifting garbage in the city being extended,heaps of garbage were piling up at various places. Though Minister of State (urban development) Bhaskar Jadhav said a CID probe was not required in the matter,repeated demands by MLCs made the government change its stand.

Congress MLC Bhai Jagtap said there had been a 100 per cent rise in the cost of the renewed contracts this year compared to the previous contracts.

“The same set of contractors has bagged the contracts this year at a much higher cost… Rs 130 crore is not a small amount. A CID inquiry should be initiated into the issue,” he said.

Jadhav said while 27 per cent of the city’s garbage was lifted by BMC workers and trucks,the remaining 73 per cent of the work was outsourced.

“The entire tendering process is an open process and hence there is no scope of ordering a CID probe,” Jadhav said. However,following a furore,the chairman of the House ordered that a CID probe be initiated.

Start your day the best way
with the Express Morning Briefing

For all the latest Mumbai News, download Indian Express App

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement