The Central Railway (CR) started two shuttle services of Diesel and Electrical Multiple Units (DEMU) between Diva and Panvel on Thursday, said an official. This has reduced by half the time taken to commute between the two townships.
“There are train services between Diva and Vasai, and Diva and Panvel during the day time. These services were started after repeated demands from the commuters. However, there were no trains in the late evening to connect Diva and Panvel. Hence, we have started this new service. This will benefit at least 2,000 commuters travelling between Diva and Panvel,” said an official from CR.
- Central Railway conducts trial for eight-coach toy train between Matheran and Neral
- Mumbai: In 18 minutes, hovercraft to connect island city to Navi Mumbai
- Mission Raftaar: Central Railway to increase speed limit on seven key routes, reduce travel time by four hours
- Dumper collides with train,19 hurt
- In brief
- Gandhidham Express derails near Bhiwandi
The shuttle services will be a trial run between Diva and Panvel for at least four months. Earlier, commuters staying at Panvel and its adjoining areas like New Panvel had to travel via Thane to go to Panvel.
Meanwhile, the Central Railway has decided to inform commuters of technical glitches by making announcements inside the compartments.
There are at least 121 rakes in CR services, of which 59 rakes will get upgraded with the announcement facility, a senior official from CR said.