Sheena Bora murder case: News of mother’s death disturbed her, Indrani Mukerjea tells cops

Discharged after doctors declare her fit to be sent back to jail.

| Mumbai | Updated: October 7, 2015 10:40:12 am

Indrani Mukerjea, the prime accused in the Sheena Bora murder case, recorded her statement before Byculla jail officials Tuesday evening in connection with the ongoing probe ordered by the state’s home department to ascertain if there were any lapses or foul play leading to her falling unconscious on October 2 in her jail barrack.

Indrani was discharged from JJ Hospital Tuesday evening. After getting the discharge report that said the “patient was physically and mentally fit”, her statement was recorded by Inspector General (Prisons), Bipin Singh.

Share This Article
Related Article

“We recorded her statement for around three hours. She has narrated the sequence of events leading to her collapse. This will be corroborated with the statements given by other witnesses before arriving at the reason behind her possible collapse,” said a senior official who did not wish to be named.

Indrani was arrested on August 25 by the Khar police in connection with Sheena Bora’s murder. The case was subsequently transferred to the CBI.

On October 2 morning, according to the police, Indrani woke up at 5 am following the jail routine, took a bath, read the Bhagavad Gita — something she “did on most days” — and then complained of dizziness.

Around 6 am, two jail doctors were called in but when her condition deteriorated, senior doctor Waqar Shaikh was called in from JJ Hospital. The three doctors tried to help her regain consciousness but failed to do so. She was rushed to the hospital and admitted to its intensive care unit.

The inquiry officers have recorded the statement of the three doctors.

Sources said while Indrani refuted charges that she hoarded the pills she was prescribed or was being supplied medicines by her visitors, she mentioned that the news of her mother’s death had disturbed her.

“On Thursday night, she learnt through the jail staff about her mother’s death. She was taken aback and did not eat properly,” said the source.

On Tuesday , jail officials also received the test reports from the Forensic Science Laboratory in Kalina that had ruled out presence of any chemical or poisonous substance in her body.

The report says that there were no traces of any drug found in the three tests conducted on Indrani.

“We have also recorded the statement of the nursing warden and the jail staff who administered her medicines between September 11 and 26. They maintain that she took the pills before them and had swallowed them,” added the source.

While jail officials are now contemplating moving her to a smaller barrack, they have refuted reports on shifting her out of the Byculla jail.

For all the latest Mumbai News, download Indian Express App