The Bombay High Court on Friday asked students, whose pre-primary admissions were cancelled under the Right to Education (RTE) Act quota for students from Economically Weaker Section (EWS) following a government resolution (GR) to make representation before schools for compliance of earlier court orders, which seeks status quo on such admissions.
The state’s education department had, on April 30, issued a GR stating that pre-primary sections did not come under the purview of the RTE Act and had permitted schools to cancel pre-primary admissions under the quota.
While hearing another petition in this matter, the court had, on May 7, said that students from the EWS category, who had been admitted to pre-primary classes in private schools under the 25 per cent RTE quota, should be protected, adding that the position as on April 29 shall continue to prevail. The HC had also asked the state to file an affidavit explaining its stand and scheduled further hearing in the case on June 10.
Several schools, despite the HC order, had apparently cancelled pre-primary admissions of students under the RTE Act quota. A public interest litigation (PIL) was then filed on May 12 by social activist Savari Muthu Micheal Selvan in this matter.
“The state government and Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) has created tremendous confusion and uncertainty, stress and mental agony to children already admitted under the RTE Act in previous years by allowing schools to apply the GR retrospectively and refusing to reimburse schools for children already admitted, leading to ousting of such children. More than 30,000 children will be affected in the process,” the PIL read.
The advocate appearing for the petitioner, Rahul Deodhar, on Friday, said: “The admission at allotment stage was itself faulty. The second round of admissions were supposed to take place after a notification by the state government, but the government has not notified any admission.”