Follow Us:
Friday, July 20, 2018

Raj threatens to hold rallies on streets

Raj Thackeray questioned the decision and asked how the Shiv Sena was allowed to hold a rally at the same venue last year.

Written by Express News Service | Mumbai | Published: February 4, 2012 3:26:19 am

After being denied permission to hold rallies at the iconic Shivaji Park during the BMC election campaign,Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray questioned the decision and asked how the Shiv Sena was allowed to hold a rally at the same venue last year.

He went on to say that his party would hold rally on the road if it was denied permission to hold rally at Shivaji Park. “I do not care how many cases you will file against us,but now I will hold rallies on Mumbai’s streets,” Thackeray threatened.

The MNS had moved the Bombay High Court after the BMC refused permission to use loudspeakers at Shivaji Park,relying on an earlier order passed by the High Court declaring the park as a silence zone.

Thackeray said the party was seeking permission to hold only one rally during the election period. “During elections,permission should be granted for rallies at the ground.

It is part of the democracy. If so many restrictions are laid,what is the point of holding elections,” he said. He added that his party needed to hold rallies in large grounds to accommodate supporters.

“Why are there separate rules for two parties? Shiv Sena was given permission to hold a rally saying it is their tradition. The permission was granted again in 2011 even after they violated the norms in an earlier rally,” said Thackeray.

He also blamed the state government for its alleged dual stand regarding grant of permission for the ground to hold rallies.

For all the latest Mumbai News, download Indian Express App

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement