scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Friday, October 22, 2021

Raj Kundra walks out of Mumbai jail after bail in adult films case

Raj Kundra gets bail: In his plea, Raj Kundra stated that the police have not been able to show any evidence establishing his connection with mobile apps Hotshots and Bollyfame where the adult films were uploaded.

By: Express Web Desk | Mumbai |
Updated: September 21, 2021 6:53:19 pm
raj kundra, raj kundra bail, raj kundra porn app, raj kundra porn film case, raj kundra walks out of jail, raj kundra arrest, raj kundra bail, raj kundra arthur road jail, raj kundra porn case, raj kundra porn film case, raj kundra hotshots case, raj kundra news, shilpa shetty, shilpa shetty husband case, shilpa shetty husband porn case, mumbai news, mumbai latest news, mumbai updatesRaj Kundra bail: Raj Kundra walks out of Arthur Road jail after being granted bail by Mumbai court. (Express Photo by Ganesh Shirsekar)

A day after a metropolitan magistrate’s court granted bail to Bollywood actress Shilpa Shetty’s husband Raj Kundra, who was arrested in a pornography racket case, the businessman walked out of Mumbai’s Arthur Road jail on Tuesday.

According to news agency PTI, Kundra was released from the Mumbai jail shortly after 11:30 am.

On Monday, Chief Metropolitan Magistrate SB Bhajipale granted bail to Kundra on a surety of Rs 50,000 with certain conditions after he filed a fresh bail plea last week. The Mumbai Police’s supplementary chargesheet had named him as an accused in connection to the alleged creation and publishing of pornographic films on mobile applications.

The 46-year-old businessman was booked under relevant sections of the Indian Penal Code, the Information Technology Act and the Indecent Representation of Women (Prohibition) Act and arrested on July 19 by Mumbai’s crime branch. He was lodged in the Arthur Road Jail in central Mumbai under judicial custody.

Co-accused Ryan Thorpe, who was arrested alongside him, was also granted bail by the court.

In his plea, filed through lawyer Prashant Patil on Saturday, Kundra had submitted that he was being made a “scapegoat” without any conclusive evidence, and he should be released as the probe against him has been completed.

The plea also said that the police have not been able to show any evidence establishing his connection with mobile apps Hotshots and Bollyfame where the adult films were uploaded. Kundra sought bail on grounds of parity as other accused, arrested in connection with case earlier, have been granted bail.

Raj Kundra comes out of Arthur Road jail after being granted bail by Mumbai court in connection with pornography case, in Mumbai, Tuesday, Sept. 21, 2021. (PTI)

Kundra further claimed that he was falsely implicated despite not being named in the FIR and is being “dragged” into the case by the police. The plea added that not a single allegation has been made in the supplementary chargesheet that stated that Kundra was actively involved in any of the video shootings.

The Mumbai Police had opposed the plea saying that Kundra, if granted bail, could tamper with evidence and end up influencing witnesses.

Kundra’s lawyer said that Kundra had sought anticipatory bail in connection with other similar cases, and has been granted interim relief from arrest.

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest Mumbai News, download Indian Express App.

  • Newsguard
  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
  • Newsguard
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement