Unidentified persons armed with hockey sticks and sharp weapons allegedly chased and attacked Shiv Sena leader Milind Ekbote, who heads the radical Hindu outfit Samasta Hindu Aghadi, in Pune Camp area on Monday evening, leading to tension in the area.
Ekbote, who was accompanied by a few activists and a police constable deployed for his security, was unharmed but the four-wheeler they were travelling in was damaged.
A complaint was later registered at the Cantonment police station, after which police detained a few suspects and questioned them.
- Koregaon Bhima violence case: Pune police arrest ‘top urban Maoist operatives’ from Delhi, Mumbai, Nagpur
- Koregaon Bhima violence: Court grants bail to Milind Ekbote
- Koregaon-Bhima violence: Court grants Ekbote bail in atrocity case, police arrest him over another
- Koregaon Bhima violence: Milind Ekbote remanded in 14-day judicial custody
- Koregaon Bhima violence: Man tries to blacken Ekbote’s face in court
- Two Hindutva leaders booked on charges of ‘orchestrating violence’ in Pune
Ekbote told The Indian Express that he had gone to Bhimpura area in Pune Camp to see his friend and activist advocate Prashant Yadav whose father had died recently. “While returning from there around 7.30 pm, we saw a few armed men on two-wheelers chasing us. They attacked our vehicle and smashed its glasses. As we drove towards the Cantonment police station, the assailants fled. We want the police to conduct a fair investigation and arrest the attackers.”
Deputy commissioner of police (zone II) Sudhakar Pathare said, “An offence has been registered. We have detained a few suspects for questioning. Police have been deployed in the area to prevent law and order problems.”
Ekbote heads the Samasta Hindu Aghadi, an association of several radical Hindu groups in the city. A former BJP corporator, he contested state Assembly elections in 2014 on Shiv Sena’s ticket and is more known for his anti-cow slaughter campaign.
Meanwhile, a large number of activists from various Hindutva groups and Shiv Sena shouted slogans outside the Cantonment police station before Ekbote pacified them.