scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Friday, May 20, 2022

Pay parents of stolen baby at least a million,HC tells BMC

The Bombay High Court on Wednesday pulled up the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation and the police for not initiating proper action in the Sion Hospital baby kidnap case.

Written by Express News Service | Mumbai |
March 5, 2009 11:25:38 pm

The Bombay High Court on Wednesday pulled up the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) and the police for not initiating proper action in the Sion Hospital baby kidnap case.

A division bench of Justice Bilal Nazki and Justice A R Joshi asked the BMC to state what amount will it pay as compensation to the parents of the baby for the mental torture and agony they are going through.

The court made it clear that the sum should not be less than Rs 10 lakh.

Commenting on the reports submitted by BMC and the police,the court said its efforts are frustrated by the authorities. “You want to hide the reasons from the court,” the judges said.

Best of Express Premium

Delhi Confidential: Mini ShivirPremium
UPSC CSE Key – May 19, 2022: What you need to read todayPremium
‘Majority of Indians have not voted for BJP… For the first ti...Premium
Why Satyajit Ray is still the saviour for the Bengali film industryPremium

The court asked the BMC as to why it had to initiate another departmental inquiry against two security officials for dereliction of duty. The police submitted that they are making sincere efforts to trace the child and the kidnapper. The court remarked that even a clerk could have filed the report submitted by them.

“The court adjourned the hearing till Thursday and directed the DCP Zone IV to be present in court. The BMC will also have to state tomorrow how much compensation it will pay,” said petitioners’ lawyer Amit Karkhanis.

The confidential inquiry and progress reports in the case were filed earlier by BMC inquiry committee and the Mumbai police. The BMC had submitted a report filed by the dean of Nair Hospital for fixing responsibility on the person concerned while the police detailed their progress in tracing the baby and the culprit.

City Police Commissioner Hasan Gafoor had earlier submitted that all possible steps have been taken to trace the baby who went missing from Sion Hospital last month.

The BMC had informed the court that an inquiry committee headed by the dean of Nair Hospital has been constituted to fix the responsibility in the case.

The parents of the baby boy had filed a habeas corpus petition in the court 13 days after the incident. In their petition,the parents — Mohan and Mohini Nerulkar — has sought response from the hospital,the state government and the police investigating the matter.

For all the latest Mumbai News, download Indian Express App.

  • Newsguard
  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
  • Newsguard
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement