Over a lakh pray for Syedna, visit grave

Most of those who died in the stampede buried the same day.

Mumbai | Updated: February 6, 2014 2:50:26 pm
Thousands gathered for Syedna’s janaza on Saturday. Express Thousands gathered for Syedna’s janaza on Saturday. Express

Over a lakh people visited Bhendi Bazaar’s Saifee Masjid Sunday to offer prayers in the morning and afternoon for deceased Dawoodi Bohra spiritual leader Dr Syedna Mohammad Burhanuddin.

Community members also visited the late Syedna’s grave in Raudat Tahera Mausoleum, which houses the grave of his father — the 51st Dai al Mutlaq, Syedna Taher Saifuddin Bhaisaheb.

“People queued up outside Raudat Tahera to visit Syedna’s kabr (grave). The process is called zyarat,” said Zaineb Kapadia, a student of Jamiya School in Surat, who came to the city with her friends on Friday to attend Syedna’s final rites. “We had left immediately after we heard the news of his demise. Mourning will be observed for 10 days,” she added.

Dawoodi Bohras will also visit the mausoleum on Monday and offer prayers in Saifee Masjid for the late Syedna.
Virar resident Tasneem Indorewala said prayer meets followed by lunch were taking place not only in Bhendi Bazaar’s Saifee Masjid, but in all the Bohri mosques across the city. “Even in the country and abroad, Bohras are gathering in mosques to pray for the late Syedna,” she said.

Of the 18 people who died in the stampede at Syedna’s residence Saifee Mahal at Malabar Hill on Saturday, several were buried the same day, while a few others were buried on Sunday. The relatives of 29-year-old Aamir Kalolwala, a resident of Pune who worked at an MNC, decided to bury him in Mumbai. He had come to witness the final rites of Syedna with his father Abbas Kalolwala and two acquaintances from Pune.

Yusuf Lokhandwala (52) was also buried on Saturday night after his son Idris returned from Dubai. “Yusuf had gone to Saifee Mahal after his friend called him up and informed about deedar (glimpse of Syedna’s body). He did not suffer any external injuries. The cause of death was suffocation,” said Khatija Lokhandwala, his sister.

Yusuf was an autorickshaw driver from Kurla. “His son Idris had left for Dubai for a job three days ago. As soon we informed him about his father’s demise, he took a flight for India,” said Hussain Ujjainwala, Idris’ friend.

Initially, the cause of death for all those killed in the stampede was believed to be asphyxiation. However, the five-hour post-mortem of 17 bodies at JJ hospital on Saturday confirmed trauma deaths, too. “Several people were trampled face down. They could not breathe and died due to pressure on the chest. A few people sustained pressure on abdomen and chest,” said Dr S D Nanandkar, head of forensic department in the hospital.

Five persons, who suffered fractures in the stampede, are still admitted at Saifee Hospital in Charni Road.


For all the latest Mumbai News, download Indian Express App