Even as Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan had assured the Cabinet Wednesday he would speak to the two private power distribution companies in Mumbai over the issue of reducing power tariff in the city, sources in the energy department said Saturday no such meeting had taken place as yet.
However, officials did not rule out the likelihood of the proposal coming up before Cabinet’s approval in its meeting Sunday.
A senior energy department official said, “We have not had any meeting with the private discoms on the issue. But we have worked out the consumer base categorisation on the basis of consumption. For eg, number of consumers using 0-100 units, 100-300 units and above 300 units. This data will be vital to work out a tariff cut plan.”
The budget session of the state’s legislature will begin on Monday, which will be preceded by the customary tea-party with Opposition leaders followed by the Cabinet meeting on Sunday.
With Chavan having promised to reduce power tariff in Mumbai before the election code of conduct kicks in, the proposal to this effect is likely to be put up before the Cabinet on Sunday or Wednesday. Officials said chances also were that it could be announced in the legislature as a part of the budget.
Relief to consumers could also be given by providing a subsidy to discoms Tata Power, Reliance Infra and BEST or by reducing taxes on these companies.
Last month, power tariff for consumers of MahaVitaran in Maharashtra were lowered by 20 per cent, for which the state has to bear a subsidy burden of Rs 8,000 crore annually.
Congress leaders, including two Mumbai MPs Sanjay Nirupam and Gurudas Kamat, have been demanding power tariff cut in Mumbai.