THE Bombay High Court Tuesday refused to grant relief to a few beneficiaries who had been allotted flats under the chief minister’s discretionary housing quota in Maharashtra and had moved the court against eviction action after a one-member commission found several irregularities with the allotments.
The beneficiaries who filed an application before court included third assistant master employed with the Bombay High Court, an LIC Class III employee and a police constable, among others. All of them had sought a copy of the committee report that found cases of double and illegal allotment of flats and made recommendations for proposed action. The report had been submitted to court.
The applicants had sought that the competent authority “be restrained from taking steps in accordance with orders dated December 28, for evicting them from their flats”.
The HC, refusing to grant relief, said proceedings were taking place as per law and said the applicants were free to approach the appropriate forum.
One of the applicants, Kantabai Brijmohan Bohra, who was served a notice by the committee, had been allotted four flats. The notice said, “As per the then prevailing rules and regulations of government, one person can apply and get only one flat under the scheme. It has further been observed that you applied for permission to sell the said flats on November 10, 2003, and permission was granted on January 15, 2004, in contravention of prevailing rules thereby cheating and misleading the government.”
A similar notice sent to Rahul Patil, another allottee, states that while he had been allotted two flats in the category of MLA “on record there is no document to show that you are either MLA or MLC”. “Secondly, it is not known as to why two flats were allotted to you when the normal rule is one flat for one family,” it states.