February 25, 2009 12:45:05 am
The BMC has decided to provide 10 of citys old and dilapidated municipal markets with a facelift. They will soon be turned into smart-looking malls. On Tuesday after the Improvement committee meeting,the civic body decided to go ahead with the redevelopment of 10 markets.
After the Crawford Market-redevelopment controversy,in which the BMC was accused of helping a private developer,the civic body had to change its policy involving redevelopment but that did not work.
Now the BMC is going ahead with the earlier policy. As per the current policy,the builder will be eligible for 40 per cent of the profit share whereas the civic body will take 60 per cent. If a builder constructs 10 shops he will get 4 as commercial component by using 1.33 Floor Space Index (FSI) in the island city. While in the suburbs the builder and the BMC would get 50-50 per cent share of profit by using an FSI of 1.
Markets that will be redeveloped
* DR Gawde Market,Worli.
* Dr Bhosale Mard Market
* JL Patil Market
* Park site Muabai Market,Vikhroli
* Kalina Market,Kalina
* Ghamji-Manaji Chowk Market,Kurla
* Jalaram Bappa Market,Mulund
* Sant Garge Market,Byculla.
* Tilak Nagar Market,Chembur
* Bhowra Harishchandra Chemburkar Market,Chembur
Subscriber Only Stories
📣 Join our Telegram channel (The Indian Express) for the latest news and updates
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.