STATING that there is now a growing interest in liberal arts education in several regions across India, Mumbai University Vice-Chancellor Dr Sanjay Deshmukh on Monday said similar to foreign countries, interactive and experimental forms of learning are now on the rise here as well.
“This idea is in its nascent stage, and we will adopt it gradually,” he said.
Deshmukh was speaking at the inauguration of the platinum jubilee celebrations of Sophia College.
- Educational institutions need to be compatible for innovation and excellence: President Kovind
- DBATU students to study ‘design education’
- Haffkine Institute to get Rs 100 crore for facelift
- Malnutrition, poor education hit Odisha’s development: NITI
- White-collar crimes: President Kovind says relevant to ask if those auditing balance sheets have truly done their duty
- BVU to set up research centre in engineering
“The British Council estimates that by 2020, India and China together will have 66 million students enrolling for a tertiary education course, as compared to USA’s 20 million. This is why the quality of universities’ instructions needs to be raised, in face of their rapid expansion,” said Dr Deshmukh.
Deshmukh also spoke about how the need for world-class education has prompted private players to enter the field of education. As a result, the HRD ministry is allocating more funds toward government universities, raising the overall standard of Indian education. He said. “India has a total of 700 universities. We may not have the privilege of nurturing all the universities like Japan and China, but the government has taken an initiative under the Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan to identify 10 universities in the country which can and will be made globally competitive.”
Keynote speaker Shabana Azmi voiced the need for women empowerment. “They (men and women) are not the same, but they are equal. And this difference needs to be celebrated,” the actress and activist said. She spoke of grievances faced by women in a patriarchal society, and how education is the best way to resolve the problem.