Heavy rains since Friday morning flooded many parts of Mumbai, disrupting rail and road traffic as well as flights, officials said. The downpour led to waterlogging in parts of south and central Mumbai as well as eastern and western suburbs, leading to major traffic snarls in the morning peak hours.
Traffic crawled at a snail’s pace on major thoroughfares like Eastern Express and Western Express highways and major north-south roads, delaying tens of thousands. Suburban train services on Western Railway, Central Railway and Harbour Line ran 15-30 minutes late.
The IMD has forecast very heavy rains over Mumbai and coastal Konkan region over the next 48 hours.
Highlights of the Mumbai Rains:
04.40 pm: Rains have stopped in Mumbai, railways continue functioning albeit delay.
02. 25 pm: BMC helpline no 1916 and Traffic helpline no 8454999999
02. 20 pm: Heavy Traffic between Chakala Metro Station and Airport Road Station in Andheri Kurla Road.
01. 15 pm: Western Railways says on Twitter that Mumbai suburban services are running without any disruption in spite of very heavy rains
01. 14 pm: Mumbai police informs waterlogging upto 1 to 1.5 ft present at Abdul Durrani Chowk , Shanti Nagar CST Road & on LBS Road. Gafoor khan estate to Thakur dham junction is also waterlogged.
12. 55 pm: All flights delayed at Mumbai airport due to heavy rains, 6 flights go around, 1 diverted as of now, reports ANI.
12. 52 pm: According to Mumbai Police, the most affected areas are Parel TT – King Circle Junction Matunga – Mukhyadhyapak Bhavan, Sion – Kurla Kamani near Pheonix Mall
12. 50 pm: Mumbai Police on Twitter issued rain alerts and said, “Heavy rains in the city today. Some of the most affected areas : Ram Nagar Subway near Vakola,D.N Nagar area at Andheri West”
12. 30 pm: Mumbai high tide of 4.55 meters expected at 1:38 pm today, reports news agency ANI.
12. 10 pm: Up slow line between Sion and Kura started at 12:05 , trains are running on all lines of Central Railway
11. 42 am: Due to heavy rain and water logging between Sion and Kurla suburban services badly affected Central Railways, water level 6 inch above rails.
11. 30 am: Reports of 4 inch high water level over tracks at Sion station , Central Railways trains delayed