Mumbai Paper Clip: ‘Only 3% of Mumbai youth in 20-30 age bracket purchase clothes online’

People believe by choosing branded over non-branded apparel, they are buying goods of a superior quality, the study found.

Written by ZEESHAN SHAIKH | Mumbai | Published: June 28, 2016 12:44:16 am
apparel, clothes, apparel shopping, branded clothes, branded apparel, mumbai clothes shopping, mumbai youngstars shopping pattern, mumbai news, lifestyle news, maharashtra news, latest news According to the study, majority of the sample size prefers department stores to purchase branded apparel, followed by small retail stores, hawkers and hypermarket. (Source: Express photo by Pradip Das/ file)

Nearly 64 per cent of the city’s youth in the 20-30 age bracket prefer to buy branded apparel while the remaining 36 per cent prefer non-branded apparel, according to a study.

The study, titled “Analysis of Purchasing Behaviour of Office-goer Youth in Branded and Non-branded Apparel Category in Mumbai”, was published in the International Journal of Scientific Research.

According to the study, majority of the sample size prefers department stores to purchase branded apparel, followed by small retail stores, hawkers and hypermarket. Only a measly 3 per cent prefer online buying.

Share This Article
Share
Related Article

Watch Video: What’s making news

Additionally, the study found, 53 per cent of the respondents visit stores to make their purchases once a year, followed by 38 per cent who go shopping once in six months. The rest 9 per cent shop once in three months.

People believe by choosing branded over non-branded apparel, they are buying goods of a superior quality, the study found. Other reasons are durability, status symbol, warranty, wider choice of design and colour. For those going for non-branded clothes, the most important consideration is bargaining.

“The youth normally prefers branded apparel due to mainly good quality, durability and status symbol. Non-branded apparel is also popular among them mainly because of bargaining, reasonable price and attractiveness,” the report says.

For the record, the total apparel market share was 7.3 per cent of the total retail market in India in 2009-10. The organised apparel market accounts for 31.2 per cent of the country’s total apparel market.

Have a comment or suggestion for Paper Clip? Write to mumbai.newsline@expressindia.com with subject line: Paper Clip
Start your day the best way
with the Express Morning Briefing

For all the latest Mumbai News, download Indian Express App

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement