HAVING put up a fight over five years for justice following the murder of his son Keenan Santos and his friend Reuben Fernandes, Valerian Santos broke down when the court earlier this month sentenced the four accused to life imprisonment. Santos, in an interaction with the media at the Loksatta Party office in Byculla on Saturday, said the judgment restored his faith in the city.
- FIFA World Cup 2018: Cristiano Ronaldo mum on retirement talk as Portugal depart Russia
- FIFA World Cup 2018: Portugal ousted by a superior version of themselves
- Club rivalry pushed aside against Cristiano Ronaldo at FIFA World Cup 2018, says Luis Suarez
- FIFA World Cup 2018: Portugal hogged possession against Iran but unable to make it pay
- FIFA World Cup 2018: Portugal have the weapons to beat Uruguay, says coach Fernando Santos
- Rewind: Efforts on to make Keenan & Reuben’s murder count
Expressing the shock he felt in the aftermath of the incident on October 20, 2011, Santos said, “What still does not leave my mind is the question of why did anyone from the crowd not help the girls standing in horror there? Even if they did not want to get into trouble when the molesters were attacking, they could have helped after they had left the place. But nobody budged even a bit.”
Santos, who attended every court hearing after the case was committed to a fast track court in 2012, was also behind appealing for the case to be shifted to a woman’s court in 2014 as there were several women witnesses. Santos said community policing was the need of the hour to ensure such incidents are not repeated.
WATCH INDIAN EXPRESS VIDEOS HERE
Senior Inspector Gyanesh Dewde, who investigated the case and was also present at the interaction, said the delay was on account of systemic loopholes and staffing issues in the policing system.