Updated: August 8, 2021 8:12:07 am
At least 300 people from residential buildings and chawl around Kasturba Hospital in Agripada here were evacuated following an LPG leak incident around noon on Saturday.
Most of the residents were shifted to a community hall and a temple, while some moved into the nearby buildings.
Astral Central, a ground-plus seven-storey building, shares a boundary wall with the hospital and is nearest to the LPG yard, where the leak was detected. The first and second floors of the building are residential with 12 flats, while the remaining floors house a call centre and offices.
Swati Lokhande, a resident of Astral Central, said, “Since our flats face the LPG yard, we can smell the gas daily. But today the smell was strong and suffocating. The BMC staffers asked us to immediately evacuate the premises around noon. We were given water and snacks, but it is unclear when we will be allowed to return to our flat.”
In addition to Astral Central, two BMC-owned chawls and the five-storey Aboli Deep buildings, including several shops, were evacuated. As a precautionary measure, the petrol pump next to the hospital building on Arthur Road was also shut.
Shops and other establishments, restaurants, eateries and an office complex on Arthur Road and Delisle Road were asked to turn off electricity and LPG supply until further notice.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.