One person died after a level-4 fire broke out on the 19th floor of a residential building in South Mumbai’s Lower Parel area on Friday. The incident took place at the city’s luxury Avighna Park society.
At least 12 fire tenders were rushed to the spot. The fire was doused at around 2.04 pm.
A senior KEM Hospital official said that the man, identified as Arun Tiwari, 30, was brought to the hospital at around 12.45 pm. He was declared brought dead.
Mumbai Mayor Kishori Pednekar, Municipal Commissioner I S Chahal and officials of the fire and rescue department have also reached the spot. The visuals show the building’s 19th floor engulfed in flames. The massive fire sent thick plumes of black smoke in the air that could be seen for miles.
Pednekar said, “Fire broke out due to short-circuit in a flat. Management needs to be punished for non-operational of fire fighting system in a new building. Residents blamed the builder for not handing over the charge to the society as he is carrying out illegal construction.”
Municipal Commissioner Chahal, on the other hand, has ordered probe into the fire incident. “19 people had locked themselves inside their houses on the 19th and 20th floors. A team of fire brigade personnel, led by a deputy chief fire officer, went to these houses through the staircase and rescued them,” Chahal told The Indian Express.
“The fire broke out at flat number 1902 on the 19th floor. We saw smoke coming out from the flat and ran out through the staircase as lift was shut. The flat where fire started was occupied few days back, “said Rahul Kumar, a labourer who was working at flat number 1904.
Owing to the fire, the routes of three Brihanmumbai Electricity Supply and Transport (BEST) travelling towards Bharat Mata Cinema, Ganesh Cinema and Gulabrao Ganacharya Chowk via Babasaheb Ambedkar Marg have been diverted.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines