scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Monday, November 29, 2021

Mumbai: Fire on 19th floor of Avingha Park in Lower Parel, one dead

Mumbai Lower Parel fire: Mayor Kishori Pednekar said, "Fire broke out due to short-circuit in a flat at Avighna Park. Management needs to be punished for non-operational of fire fighting system in a new building."

By: Express Web Desk | Mumbai |
Updated: October 22, 2021 4:58:02 pm
Fire breaks out on 19th floor of Avighna Park building at Curry Road on Friday. (Express Photo by Amit Chakravarty)

One person died after a level-4 fire broke out on the 19th floor of a residential building in South Mumbai’s Lower Parel area on Friday. The incident took place at the city’s luxury Avighna Park society.

At least 12 fire tenders were rushed to the spot. The fire was doused at around 2.04 pm.

A senior KEM Hospital official said that the man, identified as Arun Tiwari, 30, was brought to the hospital at around 12.45 pm. He was declared brought dead.

Mumbai fire, Mumbai news, Lower Parel building fire, Mumbai building fire, Mumbai fire death, Mumbai latest news, indian express Fire was reported from the 19th floor of a residential building in Lower Parel. (Express Photo: Amit Chakravarty)

Mumbai Mayor Kishori Pednekar, Municipal Commissioner I S Chahal and officials of the fire and rescue department have also reached the spot. The visuals show the building’s 19th floor engulfed in flames. The massive fire sent thick plumes of black smoke in the air that could be seen for miles.

Pednekar said, “Fire broke out due to short-circuit in a flat. Management needs to be punished for non-operational of fire fighting system in a new building. Residents blamed the builder for not handing over the charge to the society as he is carrying out illegal construction.”

Municipal Commissioner Chahal, on the other hand, has ordered probe into the fire incident. “19 people had locked themselves inside their houses on the 19th and 20th floors. A team of fire brigade personnel, led by a deputy chief fire officer, went to these houses through the staircase and rescued them,” Chahal told The Indian Express.

“The fire broke out at flat number 1902 on the 19th floor. We saw smoke coming out from the flat and ran out through the staircase as lift was shut. The flat where fire started was occupied few days back, “said Rahul Kumar, a labourer who was working at flat number 1904.

Owing to the fire, the routes of three Brihanmumbai Electricity Supply and Transport (BEST) travelling towards Bharat Mata Cinema, Ganesh Cinema and Gulabrao Ganacharya Chowk via Babasaheb Ambedkar Marg have been diverted.

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest Mumbai News, download Indian Express App.

  • Newsguard
  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
  • Newsguard
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement