Sixteen firefighters suffered from suffocation as they tried to douse a fire thatbroke out on the ground floor of Sadhana House in Worli, Mumbai, on Saturday evening. An 85-year-old woman died in a locality nearby, allegedly due to uneasiness fromt the fumes caused by the fire.
The fire at Sadhana House (G+4), located next to BDD Chawl, behind Mahindra Tower, was reported around 4.45pm. The Mumbai Fire Department has declared it a Level IV fire incident and pressed 14 fire engines to douse the flames.
Watch Video | Firefighters try to douse fire that broke out in Sadhana House in Worli. pic.twitter.com/UXMGpvfxgK
Two firefighters, Vishal Vishvarsao and Swati Satpute, were injured and have been taken to KEM Hospital. Twelve more firefighters were admitted to Poddar Hospital after they complained of suffocation. However, according to the hospital authorities, all their conditions are stable.
This is the second fire incident in a day in Mumbai after an under-construction building behind Kamala Mills compound caught fire on Saturday morning. The fire was doused later after five fire tenders arrived at the spot.
On Thursday too, a fire broke out at the 14th floor of Sargam Society (G+16) at building number 35, B Wing, in Chembur, in suburban Mumbai’s Tilak Nagar area. At least five people died and two others, including a fireman, were injured in the incident.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines