The Mumbai Police Crime Branch Saturday arrested a 30-year-old accused who had reportedly fled after assaulting a police officer at Sion Hospital four days ago.
Accused Sushil Kumar visited Sion Hospital to meet his friend Papa Nair (27), who was being escorted by the police from Arthur Road Jail to the hospital for a medical check-up on May 10.
- Serial molester left country after police intensified probe: Navi Mumbai police
- How year-long probe led to busting of nationwide sex racket, multiple MCOCA arrests
- On way to Safdarjung hospital, jailed ex-MLA gives police the slip
- Delhi: Ten charged with MCOCA for ‘human trafficking’ discharged
- Pune cops arrest man over ‘prostitution racket’, book him under MCOCA
- Navi Mumbai police slaps MCOCA charges on three arrested for robberies
Nair is charged under the stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA), as well as for a case of murder and robbery.
He was being escorted by Assistant Police Inspector Ajay Parmar attached with unit II of the Local Arms Division of the Mumbai Police to the hospital when the incident took place.
“On May 10 afternoon, Kumar along with Nair’s sisters visited Sion Hospital to meet him. API Parmar did not permit the trio to meet Nair and soon a fight broke out between all of them. First, there were verbal abuses that further escalated to physical violence,” said a senior Crime Branch officer.
As the brawl grew ugly, Parmar dialled 100 for further reinforcement. A team from Sion police station was sent but before their arrival, Kumar along with Nair’s sisters fled, the police said.
The police subsequently registered a case against Nair, his two sisters and Kumar under Section 353 (assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharge of duty), Section 504 (intentional insult to provoke breach of peace) and Section 506 (criminal intimidation) of the Indian Penal Code.
WATCH INDIAN EXPRESS VIDEOS HERE
The Crime Branch’s unit IV sleuths tracked down Kumar on Saturday morning at an apartment in Dharavi, where he had taken shelter for the last four days.