Follow Us:
Saturday, December 14, 2019

Mumbai civic body plans staggered payment for road contractors

Under the plan, a part of Pardeshi’s ‘Vision for Mumbai’, a contractor will get 60 per cent of the payment after they complete construction of road, while the remaining 40 per cent will be staggered in the defect liability period, which is 10 years for cement road and three years for asphalt roads.

| Mumbai | Published: November 24, 2019 7:34:23 am
BMC, Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation, Mumbai road construction, Mumbai roads, BMC on road construction, Mumbai news, City news, Indian Express The final instalment will be paid only after the warranty period is over.

In addition to improving road design and maintenance techniques, BMC is now planning a staggered payment system, also known as ‘life-cycle contract’, for road contractors, Municipal Commissioner Praveen Pardeshi said Saturday at an event in Shanmukhanand hall.

Under the plan, a part of Pardeshi’s ‘Vision for Mumbai’, a contractor will get 60 per cent of the payment after they complete construction of road, while the remaining 40 per cent will be staggered in the defect liability period, which is 10 years for cement road and three years for asphalt roads. The final instalment will be paid only after the warranty period is over.

Pardeshi emphasised that the plan seeks to ensure the maintenance of roads even in the warranty period.

Referring to the criticism over the ‘pothole challenge’ rolled out by the civic body recently, wherein the BMC paid Rs 500 to residents for every pothole complaint not addressed in 24 hours, Pardeshi said the programme sought to provide a creative outlet amid higher involvement of residents and not for handing out cash.

While stressing on support from residents, Pardeshi also taunted the coastal road petitioners in his presentation. “For each day’s delay in the coastal road project, the money is not spent by the petitioner, but you (taxpayers),” Pardeshi, in an hour-long presentation on basic problems and success stories of BMC, said.

Pardeshi also praised the Coastal Road project that will run along the west coast of the city and provide swift movement of vehicles from the western suburbs to south Mumbai. He added that an increase in vehicular traffic had led to an increase in PM 2.5 (Particulate Matter 2.5) in the city. “The best way to fight this is by moving more people from private vehicles to public transport,” Pardeshi said.

For all the latest Mumbai News, download Indian Express App

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement