DAYS AFTER a builder from Navi Mumbai shot himself on the head with a licenced revolver at his residence in Sanpada Monday afternoon, the Navi Mumbai police Friday evening arrested his cousin on charges of abetment to suicide. Police said 40-year-old Vipin Thapar, the arrested accused, was also Kandhari’s business associate.
The arrest comes after the police recovered a suicide note from deceased Raj Kandhari’s office on Thursday evening.
- Man set himself ablaze near Trombay police chowky in Jan: Three held for abetting suicide
- FIR against Republic TV’s Arnab Goswami after interior designer kills self
- Mumbai builder Jigar Thakkar ‘shoots self’, was chargesheeted in irrigation scam
- Mumbai builder suicide: Kandhari was facing 9 cheating cases, say cops
- Mumbai builder tries to kill himself, family points to financial crisis
- Thane builder’s suicide note blames harassment by officials, bribe demands
“Inside a drawer at Kandhari’s office desk, we found a one-page handwritten suicide note. The note is written in Hindi and clearly blames Vipin Thapar for the step that he has taken,” said Prashant Khaire, Zonal Deputy Commissioner, Navi Mumbai Police. Khaire claimed that Kandhari’s note indicated “harassment” by Thapar for various “financial transactions”.
Kandhari (44), of the Swaraj Builders & Developers Group in Navi Mumbai, succumbed to his injuries at a hospital a day after he shot himself.
WATCH INDIAN EXPRESS VIDEOS HERE
Khaire told The Indian Express that the suicide note recovered on May 12 was not from the diary that they had found in Kandhari’s bedroom earlier. “The pages are different and don’t belong to the diary we had earlier recovered. We are making further inquiries and probing when the note could have been possibly written,” Khaire added. Thapar will be produced in court Saturday, police said.