Month after complaint, actor Alok Nath booked for rapehttps://indianexpress.com/article/cities/mumbai/month-after-complaint-actor-alok-nath-booked-for-rape-5458192/

Month after complaint, actor Alok Nath booked for rape

The next step in the probe is yet to be decided, the police said, adding that Nath has not been arrested. The legal recourse available to the actor includes applying for anticipatory bail and moving court seeking to quash the FIR.

alok nath, alok nath rape case, alok nath me too, me too movement, alok nath rape, mumbai police, India news, Mumbai news, Indian express
Mumbai Police has booked Alok Nath for rape. (Source: File Photo)

A month after screenwriter Vinta Nanda filed a complaint against actor Alok Nath, Mumbai Police has booked him for rape.
Additional Commissioner of Police, West region, Manoj Kumar Sharma said a case under IPC sections 376 (rape) and 377 (unnatural offences) has been registered against Nath.

The next step in the probe is yet to be decided, the police said, adding that Nath has not been arrested. The legal recourse available to the actor includes applying for anticipatory bail and moving court seeking to quash the FIR.

“We are ready for whatever legal recourse he takes. We are consistent with the sections the police have invoked in the FIR,” said Nanda’s lawyer, Dhruti Kapadia.

In October, as the #MeToo movement in India gathered momentum, Nanda had written a post on Facebook accusing the lead actor of Tara, a television show in which she was a writer in the 1990s, of drugging her drink at a party, taking her to his home and raping her almost 19 years ago. She had not named Nath in the post.

Soon after, however, Nath filed a criminal defamation suit against Nanda, before revising that to a civil defamation suit in which he sought appropriate action against Nanda and damages of Re 1.

Following that, Nanda submitted a written complaint to the police, asking that Nath be booked for rape.

In the last week of October, a sessions judge had rejected Nath’s plea urging the court to restrain Nanda from giving interviews about her rape allegations.

Meanwhile, the Cine and TV Artistes’ Association had served Nath a showcause notice and last week it decided to expel him from the ranks after he allegedly failed to appear before the Internal Complaints Committee that is investigating Nanda’s allegations.

Earlier, Nath had also written to the association, asking that it withdraw the show cause notice.

Nath’s lawyer, Ashok Saraogi, was not available for comment.

Advertising

The defamation suit will next be heard at the Dindoshi sessions court on February 20.