Municipal commissioner Ajoy Mehta on Tuesday announced an ‘unbiased inquiry’ into what went wrong during the heavy downpours on Friday, assuring prosecution for errant officers and contractors if found guilty.
“The issue won’t end after inquiry and FIRs. We will work to ensure that such disasters don’t happen in future,” said Mehta. “I have asked all deputy municipal commissioners to submit detailed reports of flooding in their wards within a couple of days,” he added. Mehta has also asked the deputy commissioners to suggest short-term measures to avoid any water logging n future.
Mehta has also formed a five-member committee under deputy municipal commissioner Prakash Patil to conduct an inquiry on the desilting work undertaken by contractors before monsoons. The committee is expected to submit its report by June 30. Mehta said that he will take appropriate action against wrongdoers, according to the nature and sensitivity of their offence.
He made a statement on the floor of the general body meeting after persistent demand by opposition corporators to conduct an inquiry by Anti Corruption Bureau into the alleged graft in BMC’s bi-yearly nullah desilting contracts. The opposition alleged that the unclean nullahs were responsible for extensive waterlogging in the city on Friday.
To the opposition’s criticism of the two new pumping stations’ failure last week, the commissioner said that the flow capacity of the pumps will be increased. He assured that the installation work of a new pumping station at Guzdarband will be completed by November.
He, however, did not comment on the progress in Britannia pumping station planned by the civic body. Mehta also informed that the administration has started evacuating people from dilapidated buildings. He appealed to Mumbaikars not to put their lives at risk by living in such highly dangerous buildings.