A 32-year-old man was arrested on Monday for allegedly raping a woman he had met on a matrimonial website and stealing Rs 1.5 lakh from her after promising to marry her.
He had cheated at least 25 women in the past all over Maharashtra, said police. Accused Rahul Patil, a Satara native, was caught at a resort in Panvel, allegedly luring another woman.
The complainant had met Patil over a matrimonial website on Saturday, and impressed by his biodata, had been persuaded to meet him at a hotel. “Patil had described himself as well-educated and employed at a multinational firm, earning several lakh rupees a month,” said Inspector Mahadev Nimbalkar of Vile Parle police station.
- Delhi: Drama at wedding as groom is arrested
- ‘NRI groom’ held for duping woman of Rs 7 lakh
- Engineer held for cheating: 43-year-old also duped retired IPS officer in UP
- Mumbai: Engineer posing as ED, IB officer arrested for cheating NGO worker
- Chembur: Three held for ‘extorting’ money from doctor
- A crook’s hook: Con ‘bride’ arrested for duping 10 ‘grooms’
However at the hotel, Patil allegedly raped the woman, took her debit card and withdrew Rs 1.5 lakh. He threatened the woman with dire consequences if she approached the police, officers said.