Follow Us:
Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Maharashtra: Farmer who drank poison at AAP rally dies

They had rushed him to the Indira Gandhi Medical College where attempts to save him failed and Thakre breathed his last around 9.30 am on Thursday.

| Nagpur | Published: December 18, 2015 12:08:17 am

The farmer, who had consumed insecticide near a Aam Aadmi Party rally two days ago, died at a government hospital Thursday.

Pundlik Thakre, 65, from Shirpur village in Deoli tahsil of Wardha district was spotted by some AAP workers frothing from the mouth when their farmers’ rally was underway near the state legislature on Tuesday.

They had rushed him to the Indira Gandhi Medical College where attempts to save him failed and Thakre breathed his last around 9.30 am on Thursday.

AAP leader Devendra Wankhede said: “We enquired with our workers in Deoli to find out if he was an AAP worker. He was not. But since we found him in trouble, we rushed him to the hospital. His nephew later told us that Thakre was suicidal.”

Wankhede further said, “Thakre had some issues with the mahavitaran of power supply in his farm. He had run into financial trouble due to crop failure. He is also estranged from his family. All these factors had combined to take a toll on his mental peace.”

Wardha Collector Ashutosh Salil said, “Thakre had two acres of land. His family lives in Nagpur. I sought report from Mahavitaran Superintending Engineer S D Deshpande. He informed that site inspection of his farm in the presence of his relatives had revealed that the power connection to his agricultural pump was functioning well.”

For all the latest Mumbai News, download Indian Express App