The Tulinj police have arrested a 34-year-old man for allegedly making obscene gestures at a Class IX student in Nallasopara. The accused has been charged with outraging a woman’s modesty under the Indian Penal Code.
According to the police, the incident occurred on the school premises two days ago, but was reported on Tuesday. The police said that the accused was one of the labourers employed by a contractor to carry out repair work at the school.
“There is some repair work under way at the school, and several workers have been engaged for the last one week. On Saturday, the victim was passing by one of the spots where a worker was doing some repair work and the worker made obscene gestures while looking at her. The victim later approached the school authorities and told them about the incident,” said Inspector Bajirao Kalantare of Tulinj police station.
- Vadodara school murder case: Prime accused traced, questioned by authorities
- Jalgaon Dalit boys recount horror: We ran, they stripped, beat us with belt
- 24-year-old man sentenced to life imprisonment for raping younger sister
- Rape accused doctor on the run, compounder held for filming act
- Man held for raping daughter in Mohali
- Mumbai: Children’s home staffer gets life term for rape of two mentally-challenged girls
On Tuesday, after discussion, the school authorities approached the police and reported the matter to them. The police then recorded the victim’s statement and took the accused into custody from Nallasopara.
After preliminary inquiries, an offence was registered under Section 509 of the Indian Penal Code and the accused was placed under arrest in the evening.
“We are conducting further inquiries against the accused, looking into his antecedents to check if he has a past criminal record, and gathering corroborative evidence in the case,” Kalantare added.