Even as Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab,the lone terrorist captured alive during the 26/11 terror strikes,on Tuesday pleaded again for consular access,the Mumbai Police Crime Branch sought and were granted his custody till January 19 in the offence registered against him regarding the firing at Cama & Albless Hospital in south Mumbai. Seven people including two policemen were killed and 10 others injured in the shootout.
According to the sources in the Crime Branch,Kasab once again on Tuesday asked for consular access to be granted to him so that he could be defended by a Pakistani lawyer.
Like in earlier instances,Additional Metropolitan Magistrate
N Shrimangale and Additional Public Prosecutor Eknath Dhumal,along with court staff,went to the police lock-up where Kasab is kept. Kasab,who has not been produced before the conventional court due to security concerns,has been in police custody since his arrest on November 26.
The police have now sought his custody so as to investigate his role in the Cama Hospital firing.
We argued that further investigation needs to be carried out in the case,on how many were shot at from Kasabs gun at Cama hospital where firing took place, Dhumal said.
Commenting on what legal aid Kasab might receive,Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) Rakesh Maria said: Today,he once again asked the court for consular access,and was informed that his request had been communicated to Pakistan. While he has not yet turned down advocate K B N Lams offer to defend him,he has said that a Pakistani lawyer is his first choice. Kasab and his associate Ismail Khan had attacked the Cama & Albless hospital near Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus,killing seven people there.
Police personnel,including Additional Commissioner of Police Sadanand Date,were also injured while engaging the terrorists.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines